Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Are You Still Not Getting Your Rewards? Part 3

If companies want to know why their rewards programs are not as successful as they think they should be, they should consider the fact that they might not be giving what they promised.  I tend to give up on rewards programs when I have to audit them to see if they are really working.

As you already know, I now have 2 cash rewards cards with the same company and both cards give me cash rewards.  The rewards vary depending on whether I am purchasing gas, groceries, restaurant meals, or other categories.  Some categories have a bonus percentage of cash for a limited time.

Now that I have used my new card and received my first statement, I went to check on the rewards.  The transaction history states that I did in fact get rewards, however, they are not the rewards that were promised.  On items that should have received 3% I only received 2%.  On items that should have received 2%, I only received 1%.  All purchases should at least received 1% and I think that they do - so far.

So now I have to call and find out why there is a discrepancy.  I'll have to follow up later with the response.  I have several questions as well.  How do they determine groceries if stores sell everything from groceries to televisions?  The gas station is also a convenience store.  I only buy gas 99.9% of the time, and yet I get the percentage cash rebate as if I bought groceries loosing 33% of my rebate.

My list of cautions on rewards programs is growing. When it comes to credit card or retail rewards programs, make sure you know what you are suppose to get and know how to tell if you are actually getting your rewards.

Cautions on Rewards Programs:
     1. Rewards you will never use, are not rewards.
     2. Rewards you don't actually get, are not rewards.

Related Posts:
      Are You Getting Your Rewards?
      Are You Getting Your Rewards? Part 2


No comments:

Post a Comment